Pediatric Orthodontics – Marlborough, MA
First Steps Towards Straighter Teeth
What will your child’s smile look like in the future? If you hope to see a row of straight, healthy teeth, you’ll need to start thinking about having potential orthodontic problems treated at Simply Orthodontics Marlborough now. By the time your son or daughter reaches the age of seven, you should call our orthodontic office to schedule an examination and consultation to discuss pediatric orthodontics in Marlborough, MA. We’ll be able to find and treat many different orthodontic problems at this point, and by taking care of them now, you may even avoid needing additional treatments later.
What is Pediatric Orthodontics?
We’ll be looking for warning signs of crowded teeth, uneven bites, and other orthodontic issues that could lead to issues later; furthermore, we need to address non-nutritive habits such as thumb-sucking that can hinder oral development. This typically involves creating more room in the mouth for adult teeth to erupt so that they don’t become impacted or otherwise misaligned. Compared to traditional braces and other treatments, pediatric orthodontics are relatively simple and straightforward, and once they’re completed you can enjoy a greater peace of mind when it comes to your little one’s oral health.
Types of Pediatric Orthodontics
Pediatric treatments usually include headgears and other orthodontic appliances; it might also include a type of braces that are worn for a relatively short amount of time. Your son or daughter might also receive an expander, a special retainer, or a space maintainer depending on the specific concerns we have. Typically, these treatments only last between 9 and 12 months since it’s easier to move the teeth at this point in your child’s dental development.
Benefits of Pediatric Orthodontics
There are several advantages to taking your child to the dentist as early as possible:
- • Avoid Impaction: Teeth might become trapped under the gums if they can’t erupt normally, but a pediatric treatment will create the necessary space.
- • Speech Development: Early intervention can prevent the speech problems that typically occur in children with dental concerns.
- • A Proper Bite: Pediatric treatments make it easier to guide the development of your child’s jaw in order to create a more harmonious bite.
- • Confront Poor Habits: The earlier you stop thumb-sucking and tongue thrusting, the less damage they’ll do.
- • A Balanced Smile: Of course, the ultimate goal is to create an even smile that will improve your child’s self-esteem.